On Monday, we shared the sad news about the death of indie-rapper Micheal “Eyedea” Larsen, of Eyedea and Abilities. And tonight, and this week, the indie-rap community and fans will gather to celebrate his life and mourn his passing.
No one likes to deal with the pain after one of our friends or family members has died. Nonetheless there is a lot we can learn from the grief process and mourning as a community through our live music experiences. And I think it is a sacred moment when rappers, emcees, producers and DJs all express their emotions about how they feel in the wake of their friends passing.
I bring that up because I the info I received from Rhymesayers PR also included several extremely moving quotes from artists we’ve featured on Live Fix before.
And I’d like to share a few quotes from artists on the Rhymesayers label and indie-rap community who Larsen recorded and performed live with during his pioneering career as an emcee.
We’ve paid tribute to other fans and artist who’ve passed on, and if you plan on attending the memorials please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
And make sure to check out all the info below about the memorial and fan tribute tonight at 9Pm via RSE radio.
Quotes From Rhymesayers Artists
Mike was the closest friend I ever had. He was as caring as he was brilliant and was a true prodigy. I am honored to have been in his life and to have created with him and help spread his messages. He was a great human being and he will be missed.
-Gregory Keltgen (Dj Abilities).
My friend, my brother. I do not know who I would be without your influence in my life. You challenged me without tearing me down. You pushed and encouraged me to be a better person. You had my back even when I didn’t have my own back. Your words, thoughts, and ideas impacted me in ways that I probably haven’t fully realized yet. You made me laugh and cry. You made me look and question. Thank you for everything. I love you Mikey.
-Sean Daley (Slug of Atmosphere)
Eyedea was a precious soul. We’re better artists for working with him and better people for knowing him. He added so generously to our lives and his passing leaves an empty space in our hearts. His spirit will forever be entwined in our life changing moments. Thank you, Mikey for sharing your light with us. We love you so very much and your music, insight and laughter will never leave us.
Mikey was an artist in constant transition. If you blinked and missed a moment of brilliance he’d be sure to fill you in on what you missed. Now that he can’t be here to do that we will gladly do it for him. With the heaviest of hearts.
To be idle is a short road to death, and Mikey was never idle, so it is with great distress to me that my friend is gone. To think of him as a new ancestor, an old friend and a brilliant artist is appropriate, and that is what I’ll do.
Public Wake Information:
- Micheal “eyedea” Larsen Memorial
- Date: Thursday, October 28, 2010
- Public: 7:30 – 10:00PM
- Location: Crowne Plaza St. Paul Riverfront, Minnesota Grand Ballroom
- Address: 11 East Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55101
- Sending Flowers: If you are interested in sending flowers for the memorial, all deliveries must be made to arrive on Thursday, October 28, 2010. Please make deliveries to arrive prior to 12:00PM CST.
- Send to: Crowne Plaza St. Paul Riverfront, Minnesota Grand Ballroom, c/o Micheal Larsen Memorial, 11 East Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55101.
A Celebration of the life of Micheal “eyedea” Larsen
- Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010
- Location: First Avenue Mainroom, 701 1st Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55403
- Doors: 5:00PM
- Ages: All Ages
- Donation: $20
- Tickets will be on sale: Monday, October 25, 2010 at 5:00PM CST
- Tickets will be available at Fifth Element, 2411 Hennepin Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55405. For those of you that are not in the Twin Cities area; a limited amount of tickets will be available online at Etix.com.
- There is no guest list. All donations will go to the family of Micheal “eyedea” Larsen.
RSE Radio Tribute:
Today on Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 9:00PM – 11:00PM CST on RSE Radio tells us that “…we will remember Micheal “eyedea” Larsen by playing his music and sharing memories with some of Mikey’s peers…We would love to hear from all of you that loved and supported Mikey’s art over the years as well.”
- If you would like to share a special memory or experience you had please leave them at: www.twiter.com/rseradio , www.facebook.com/rseradio or firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be randomly selecting your comments to read on the air throughout the night.
- You can tune into RSE Radio at 90.3FM in Minneapolis, 106.7FM in St. Paul or online at www.rhymesayers.com, www.facebook.com/rseradio or www.kfai.org
All donations can be directed to Micheal’s Mom, Kathy Averill: