One of the best things I love about Chicago is experiencing live music right in the heart of the city. And this summer the City of Chicago has put together a great group of artists performing for this year’s edition of Downtown Sound.
And looking at the 2010 list there’s a little bit of everything offering up an excellent mix of indie-rock, hip hop, pop, gospel and other great tunes from local and national bands for fans to rock and jam out to.
Kudos to the City of Chicago for putting on these shows for free. All shows start at 6:30pm.
- May 24: Besnard Lakes with the Ponys
- May 31: Hum with Volcano!
- June 7: She and Him (Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward) with Hollows
- June 14: Tony Allen with Great Lake Swimmers
- June 21: Indie-rock duo the Books with Via Tania
- June 28: Huntsville with On Fillmore and Nels Cline
- July 5: Indie rockers The Thermals with Disappears
- July 12: Caribou with Budos Band
- July 19: Kid Sister with Konono No. 1
- July 26: Naomi Shelton with Bomba Estereo
What are some of your favorite Downtown Sound moments?
For those of you not in Chicago how does your city support live music?
Photo by Colleen Catania (Andrew Bird rockin’ Pitzker)