Summer seems so far away, but it’s that time of year when the summer music festivals announce their lineups and fans start to plan their escape.
Coachella’s boasting a pretty impressive line up this year. But it’s these two contests that will give fans the chance to win a trip to party in the desert and help contribute to the Coachella experience.
On January 18th, Coachella Music & Art Festival announced their official lineup featuring Jay-Z, Pavement, Thom Yorke????, Vampire Weekend, Them Crooked Vultures, LCD Soundsystem, Phoenix, Tiësto and others.
Then two days later they announced two fun contests that give fans, aspiring DJs and artistic recyclers a chance to win their way to Coachella.
Both contests are sponsored by Global Inheritance and it’s a pleasure to share them with you because we’ve explored several of the fan-centric, artistic and interactive elements represented in the contests before on Live Fix.
We’ve wondered about the memory of Coachella fan experiences in time lapse and the rise of a new kind of family vacation that ushers in the next gen music scribes.
And we’ve examined the phenomenon of the fan-to-artist transformation, too.
But time’s running out.
If you want to take a shot at winning Coachella tickets and the right to perform in front of 60,000 fellow fans, you better get on it and check out the details of both contests below.
Coachella’s Energy FACTory’s Sweat Shop Mixer
Here are the details of the Energy Factory Sweat Shop Mixer contest:
- You cannot perform on your own. You’ll need at least 12 friends to power all your equipment.
- Your friends will be running on hamster wheels, riding bikes, turning hand cranks, riding seesaws among
other things to power your turntables and sound system.
- There are limited time slots, so all DJ’s confirmed will need to put down a $50 deposit. If you arrive on time and perform your DJ set powered 100% by friends or family or people you meet at the camp grounds… you’ll receive a 100% refund plus a cool Sweat Shop Mixer t-shirt that is of course sweat shop free.
- You cannot suck.
- If you’re friends are in great condition and you’re ruling the decks….this time period can be extended.
- Coachella will curate the music hard drive so you’re getting the best of the best to spin.
- Set times are 30 min long.
- If you (and your friends) are up for the challenge, give them a taste of your tunes and send your proposed Coachella set mix to: sweatshopMIXER@globalinheritance.org
Coachella also notes that the Sweat Shop is a massive undertaking that requires the collective effort of electricians, engineers, electrical engineers, energy experts, designers, web programmers, architects, movers, mathematicians, truckers or the second coming of MacGyver.
So, if you have any of those skills and want to lend a hand, send an email to: email@example.com
How You Can Get “Trashed” at Coachella
This second Coachella “TRASHed” contest is a call out to those of you who love mixing live music with visual art. My trips to Rothbury, Pitchfork and Lollapalooza over the years have given me tons of visual inspiration as I walk the grounds taking a break from the music to soak up all the trippy and abstract art installations.
And as an amateur sketcher, I’ve mentioned before how I’ve scribbled sketches of my favorite live music moments on my moleskine so that I can look at them later and quickly get the emotional gist of the show to write the review. So I’m excited to see how this contest turns out.
Here are the details explaining how you can be a part of TRASHed Coachella and submit your artwork to be considered to design one of the 20 artist to help design the recycling bins used at Coachella. If you enter or know someone who will, please drop a comment or send me an email.
- Everyone from Hunter S. Thompson to Fugazi has represented during the past 7 years.
- There’s two rounds of competition. Winning Northern America and then the world competition.
- 20 finalists will be selected each receiving tixs and vip passes for Coachella Festival 2010.
- The “non-offensive” redesigned bins will be placed in schools throughout Southern California after Coachella to inspire the future recyclers of the world!
- On February 2oth, 20 artists and 5 alternates will be selected to redesign 96 gallon recycling bins.
- No admission fee, but any bad idea or artwork will be passed along internally at your expense.
- Send links to your artwork, concept and/or website to: Coachella@globalinheritance.org
Get more info via the links below and be sure to let us know if you’re planning to enter either contest or head out to Coachella this year.